Experience The Tour
America: Now and Here is a national road trip, reaching diverse communities from cities and rural towns to college campuses and military bases, many remote from major cultural institutions. Tour venues will be designed for 2 to 4-week stops, offering communities a cross-disciplinary and participatory experience with visual art, plays, poetry, film and music.
Conversation about the project has begun:
The Journey starts at The New York Times.
The Kansas City Star presents our first launch venue.
The Poets discuss their contribution on NPR’s Morning Edition.
Kansas City public radio station KCUR presents its take on America: Now and Here.
America: Now and Here is on the air at Kansas City’s NBC Action News.
Follow Deborah Magid as she discusses America: Now and Here and theater.
Exhibition and Event Space
America: Now and Here will send a cross-disciplinary exhibition across the country featuring art, poetry, film, theater and music through site specific launch installations and by custom designed mobile truck galleries.
When the custom-designed mobile truck galleries arrive at a location, they will link together to create a spectacular exhibition and event space:
- 3,300 total sq ft exhibition space
- 4,400 total sq ft plaza, pavilion and event space
- One outdoor screening area for movies
- Over 60 works of visual art
- One multi-media presentation of the renga
- 16 listening stations for music
- Actors performing scenes and monologues live
- Open space for public programs and displays
- Activity space for youth engagement
- Gift shop and retail space
America: Now and Here programs will generate a national conversation through creative engagement and expression.
Public programs will be developed and presented in partnership with national, regional and local cultural institutions. Special seminars for civic leaders, workshops for educators and Now and Here youth festivals, as well as other events will be offered at many venues.
Local artists will have the opportunity to respond and explore the themes of America: Now and Here in concurrent multi-disciplinary exhibitions.
America: Now and Here invites youth, family and school audiences to engage with some of America’s greatest artists and join a national creative dialogue about America.
- Offer direct engagement with art created by some of America’s most celebrated contemporary artists.
- Invite participants to make art (plays, film, poetry, music, visual art) to define themselves as creative individuals and to convey their experiences, ideas and points of view about America.
- Invite participants to join a national dialogue about America by sharing their work through community-based programs and events.
- Celebrate excellence in learning through art through the on-line and print publication of the America: Now and Here Youth Atlas.
- Recognize the important role young citizens play as America rediscovers its foundation as a creative and innovative society.
- Inspire support of local art education initiatives.